Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Going to DC instead

I have been in New Jersey since Sunday night. I had 4 nights of free hotel thanks to hotel reward points (at least I managed to get something back out of all my hotel stays in the past year or so), so I am staying in one of the slightly more upscale hotels this time. And they upgraded me to a suite! It is quite nice to have the extra living space to stretch out a bit. Actually this is even be bigger than some apartments I have lived in!

On Monday I had another consult with my doctor. No big surprises, no major changes. I confirmed that we do not want to do donor eggs, and we talked about the chances at age 44 with high FSH. The chances are very small, but live births through IVF still do occur. The biggest problem I think is that we are limited to IVF because of my tubes. IVF with one's own eggs stops working completely at around 47 (even at 46 it is so unusual that it would likely be a case study), but of course natural conceptions can and do occur until well past this age, so those of you who can try naturally, don't give up! I so wish that natural was an option for us, then it wouldn't feel like it is so hopeless. I guess all the manipulation of the egg oustide the body is just too hard on older eggs.

With the anecdotal stories of successes at 44-45 years old at this clinic (including someone who I know personally), I am still willing to give it a shot with my own eggs whilst understanding the low probabilities. Since we are likely to be ending our TTC journey sometime next year, I feel that this is part of a winding down process.

As it turns out, this week's labs are pointing to a bad month for me. My FSH has jumped to 37, and E2 <10 on cycle day 10! Now if I lived here in New Jersey I would probably push on with some monitoring, because it is entirely possible that I could still grow a follicle eventually, but it would be a super long cycle. Unfortunately it is also possible to be an anovulatory cycle. Since I have a rental car and a hotel room to pay for (the free nights ended on Thursday), and out of town monitoring is iffy at best from 3 time zones away, we will be canceling the cycle.

So DP is flying up today. We'll be back at the clinic on Monday morning to freeze some sperm for a later IVF, and then we're taking the train from Philly to DC on Monday afternoon. The weather here has been miserable with rain and wind and winter temperatures, but this coming week is forecast to be sunny and much warmer. Should be lovely to see the fall colors in DC while out sightseeing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment