Thursday, September 17, 2009

Retrieval day

It was so strange to do this day alone, I am so used to DP taking care of me! I just hoped that things would go smoothly as I wouldn't have a shoulder to cry on if things went badly, like last month.

I took a taxi from the hotel to the clinic. I got there on time, and started filling out the consent forms that they have us sign every time before a retrieval.

Then I got called back for an ultrasound to make sure I haven't ovulated yet. I appreciate this step because I am a self-pay patient, and I would much rather find out at this step if I have already ovulated so I can avoid the costs of retrieval and anesthesia. The ultrasound tech was really making me nervous, as she took quite a while longer than was typical, looking around as if trying to find the follicle. Then she asked me what my E2 was yesterday... yikes! Is there something wrong? Apparently not. Not sure what that was about, but I suspect it was something to do with the cyst/hydro/weird thing that has been showing up on the ultrasounds the entire cycle, perhaps she was still trying to figure out what it was. When she was done I took the result sheet back to the front desk, and saw I had a 19 and a 20, and my lining was 11mm.

Next up I handed in my consent forms and the notarized letter from DP, and went over the post retrieval meds with the IVF nurse. I got changed into the paper gown, booties and cap. Since we were using frozen sperm this time, I then had to go to andrology and identify my partners sperm. They showed me the tiniest frosty vial ever, I almost blurted out "is that it?" There was barely anything in there! I verified his name on the vial, and filled out more forms for the sperm.

I got taken into another room while waiting for the patient ahead of me to finish retrieval. While waiting, I could hear the embryologists confirming the eggs... 1, 2, 3,...4, 5, 6, 7... I am thinking wow, what a great haul! ...oh wait, they are still on the one ovary? ... 8, 9, ... and on it went up to 23. Twenty three eggs! She must have been a donor, and today there is one very happy recipient.

While the procedure room was being turned over, the doctor came in to see me for a quick chat. I explained I was very nervous because last time we did not get any eggs at all. She smiled and said she thought I would be ok this time. I instantly calmed down with her reassurance, even though she couldn't possibly know for sure, her soothing bedside manner was just what I needed at that point.

Once in the procedure room, things moved very quickly. They started the meds in my IV while I was getting into position on the table and I was out in probably under 20 seconds.

Waking up from retrieval, they told me they got 2 eggs! I think that is what they said, I hope I didn't dream it. I probably should have confirmed once I was more awake! I haven't had more than 1 egg at retrieval in over a year so I was thrilled!

The nurses were kind enough to call a taxi while I was in the recovery room, and amazingly the taxi arrived very quickly, before I was even dressed. Usually it takes 30 minutes for the cab to come! Since I was alone, the nurse made sure I was able to get dressed on my own ok, and walked me out to the taxi as I was still lightheaded and a bit shaky. The taxi driver was used to picking up patients from the clinic after procedures, and he helped me out of the cab and held onto my arm all the way into the lobby of the hotel up to the elevator. I wasn't expecting that, and to be honest I did worry beforehand about how I would get around while still unsteady from the anesthesia. Glad it all went smoothly!

While resting in the hotel, I checked in with DP every hour or so between naps to let him know I was ok. So far all is well, nothing but sleepiness really. No pain, no nausea, just a bit of the usual discomfort and tiny amount of spotting.

1 comments:

InfertileNaomi said...

Wow. Best of luck!

Post a Comment