Saturday, September 5, 2009

Odd baseline

I wasn't really sure whether I wanted to cycle this month or just take the month off. I had reached a good place after my vacation and so I thought I'd just go in for my baseline bloodwork and take it from there. If the FSH is over 20, then I'm not really up to going through another cycle like last month.

So I went in for bloods the other day expecting the usual high FSH and E2<10. But instead I got something different. Very different:

FSH - 1.4!
E2 - 23
LH - 1.3
Prog. - 2.8

I have not been on any meds since the no-egg retrieval a few weeks back.

I was astounded by the low FSH, especially after last month. At first I was so happy, thinking wow! My ovaries are acting young again! Also my AF came with unusually strong cramps, just like when I was young.

But then I started thinking that this is just the wild hormonal fluctuations of perimenopause. But still, a low FSH even in this case is still better than a high one, isn't it? Does it mean I have a slightly better chance this month?

Then I started thinking that maybe this level is too low. I went back and looked at the labcorp FSH reference range, and I notice that it says for menstruating females over 15 years old, the follicular phase FSH should be 2.5 - 10.2.

Shoot, I'm well below that. Wonder what that means. Now I'm thinking bad things like my hypothalamus (is that the part of the brain that produces FSH?) is shutting down. Maybe the hypothalamus is tired of having the ovaries ignore it and has gone on strike.

Well, I am going ahead and starting another IVF cycle because I am curious to see what happens next with the numbers. I figure with a month like this, it can either go really well, or really badly. I kind of get the feeling that my FSH will skyrocket as usual and I'll be somewhat in the same situation as many of the previous months this year. But we'll never know unless we try, right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment