Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Nervous!

I think this is the most nervous I have been before a retrieval! Well, maybe not as nervous as the first time, but that was back in 2006 and it was a different kind of nervousness then. I was more scared of the procedure itself back then.

I'm pretty sure I have been somewhat traumatized by the last retrieval, where for the first time we came up empty handed, despite promising hormone levels. I am also stressed about the odd E2 pattern over the course of stims, and now the possible hydro.

Today I found out that E2 has risen nicely to 496, but the progesterone is 3.2! I thought they usually say that levels above 3 or 5 (depending on where you read) generally indicates ovulation has occurred. Good grief, had I already ovulated?! Talk about stressful! But my LH was 1 so no natural surge had started. This had me freaked out for a while this morning, so I turned to Dr Google to find out more. After all, things are a bit different to a typical natural cycle with all the IVF meds manipulating the hormone levels. Thankfully I found some studies that mentioned porgesterone levels on the day of oocyte retrieval, and they were in a large range. One study talked about levels between 10-30, indicating that these were fairly typical levels. Well if that is the case, then 3.2 on the day before retrieval shouldn't be too high. I am in a transition period between trigger and ovulation where the levels are changing quickly, so hopefully all is ok.

Add to that, this will be the first time I will be alone for retrieval, and the first time we will be using frozen sperm. I hope I don't get too sick from the anesthesia this time, as I will be recovering alone in the hotel room. Most of the time I am ok after retrieval, just drowsy, but every now and then I get an anesthesiologist who uses a slightly different cocktail that doesn't wear off as cleanly.

One interesting thing about using frozen sperm is that the clinic requires a notarized letter stating that DP gives his consent to use his sperm for my IVF cycle. The letter has the date of the IVF cycle, so we would have to produce a new notarized letter each cycle we want to use his frozens.

The plan is to take a cab to and from the clinic. Then keep in constant touch with DP by phone or internet once they release me. He has all the contact details for the hotel and clinic, just in case. Although complications are rare, I feel better being prepared as much as I can.

1 comments:

CountinBeans said...

Good luck tomorrow. That is a nice E2 level. I'll have my fingers crossed for you. I did retrieval twice without DH and did okay. It sounds like you've got all the bases covered. I'll be looking forward to your Friday update. CountinBeans

Post a Comment