Saturday, August 22, 2009

The aftermath

This cycle the plan was to fly home the day after transfer. Luckily I never buy my plane ticket home until at least the day of the fertilization call, in case of situations like this, so I have the flexibility of coming home earlier and not paying for the hotel and rental car any longer than I need to.

This time however, my DP has some business in Washington DC in a few days. So our first thought was that it was good that he didn't fly out here for nothing! After all, he never got called up for his part on retrieval day, as the clinic doesn't have the partners or husbands give their sample until an egg is confirmed from the retrieval.

My next thought was, why don't I go down to Washington DC with him? The idea of flying back home on my own, feeling like a complete failure, really wasn't very appealing. I didn't have a return flight booked so no hassles there with changing tickets. The thought of walking around doing the tourist thing in Washington DC sounded good... just go out and do something different, and be distracted from what has happened. And treat it like a mini vacation. Of course, DP will be working during the day so I will be on my own, but Washington has so many great things to see and do, there is plenty to keep me busy.

We'll be taking the train from Philly, so that will be fun too. DP has never been on Amtrak before.

So we have a few days in the Marlton area until then. That works out well because I still have some on and off nausea, so not up to doing a whole lot at the moment.

In hindsight, one thing we should have done was to have DP give a sample on retrieval day anyway, so they can freeze it. We don't have a frozen backup, which is a bit silly because so much can go wrong especially when travelling cross country. We asked about it the day after retrieval, but then we found out that andrology requires an appointment, and they didn't have a time slot available before we left the area. The Melrose Park office did have a slot available however, so we drove over the Delaware River to Pennsylvania.

When we got to the address, we weren't sure if we had the right place. But sure enough it was, it has to be one of the more surprising buildings for a fertility clinic. Here are some pics. As you can see, I've started going into tourist mode already!








0 comments:

Post a Comment