Sunday, May 17, 2009

Retrieval today

DP flew in without incident late last night, but even after a full day of traveling he didn't sleep much through the night. Didn't affect his part on retrieval day though.

We arrived at the clinic early, and I had a scan. Follicle was still there. It had grown to 23mm, up from 19.5 on trigger day. Lining was back up to 11mm.

We filled out all the consent forms, paid for anesthesia, and went over the instructions for the next few days until transfer. I then got changed into the gown and booties and had an IV started in the back of my hand. I got to talk with the anesthesiologist, the embryologist and the doctor before starting. I've done this many times before, and I never get tired of the next bit... when they start the meds for anesthesia through the IV. Wow, that feels pretty darn good! All the stresses of the cycle just melt away completely at that point! Unfortunately that feeling is all too short and I am asleep quickly.

Next thing I knew I was waking in the recovery area. I was still very groggy when they told me, but they got the egg!

Now for the next huge hurdle, and very nerve wracking one with only the 1 egg... the fertilization call tomorrow morning. We are doing ICSI, so that should help, but I have found that fertilization is one of the most unpredictable steps in the whole process.

0 comments:

Post a Comment